Monday, September 11, 2006

The Simple Things....

Obviously today is September 11th and honestly, I've chosen to not venture outside of BRAVO in regard to my television watching. I really don't want to watch any replays of planes hitting the towers or anything. It was so sad and depressing then, it was like living under a dark cloud for a while and I don't want to do that. I suppose I should be thankful I have that option because I'm sure many families of the vicitms wish they they did.

I didn't realize I hadn't posted in so long, I've been really busy. I've finally finished my marketing/press kit package for my baby line! Whew! That seems like it took forever. It was started before the baby came and I'm just now getting it done. This week the grind begins to some baby boutiques. I feel really good about things, but here's hopin' they are receptive. I'll keep you posted on that venture.

Yesterday my photog. partner and I shot our first wedding. I think it went really well, however it 's the first time I've encountered "photo hecklers". I know, you're probably like, "???" Yes, I said photo hecklers. People that have had too many drinks before the couple has even been introduced as Mr. and Mrs. and stand on the side lines heckling the couple while they try to pose for their wedding photos. Okay, it was kinda funny...for like three minutes. Then it just became annoying. The wedding was nice though, simple but very elegant. The bride was EXTREMELY calm which I thought was cool. My photog. partner was surprised to find out his father was the officiant at the wedding...that was wierd. We haven't even had a chance to debrief about that.

What was really special was that, for whatever reason, people kept talking to me about the bride, telling me what kind of person she was, etc. It was so sweet because as the photographer, you only get to spend that time with them in addition to meeting with them to discuss what they want, and what they got. Anywhoo, the hairdresser was talking to me about her, then when we were about to leave, her mother thanked us for our services. While she was commenting on how tired she was, she added that she was just happy it was over and that her daughter was happy.

"This is what she's wanted for as long as I can remember...to be a wife and a mother. People would always say, 'She's too smart to just want to be a wife and a mother' but I tell them, that's what she wants to be a - wife - and - a - mother. Yes, she is smart but she doesn't want to be an engineer, my baby wants to be a wife and a mother".

Now I'm sure one could start the debate on how a woman needs to have more than that. But that's not the point here. What was so beautiful to me was the acceptance from her mother. That was her baby, that's what she wanted to be and that was okay. As long as she was happy. It made me think about my own mom that still wants desperately for me to join the masses of corporate america. Who every week has a new job listing for some corporate job that has nothing to do with who I am, not to mention in a field that I probably have NO experience in. It drives her crazy that I don't wanna go climb up the corporate ladder. Eeeew.

When I was a kid, I got to the cook books as soon as I could follow instructions in an attempt to master the art of baking. My mom was so proud because I was really good to be so young! When I was six I pleaded with her to teach me how to iron, so she did. A little older, and learned to sew from my Step mom and thought the fact that she could decorate cakes was soo cool. That's what interested me, domestic affairs. And what's really wrong with that??? It's so sad that we live in a place that doesn't really value the roles of domestic engineers. It's serious work I'm sure. ...Excuse me, a serious career. And I'm happy for the bride! I really hope everything works out for her. After we meet about her pics, I'll probably never see her again but I'll be rooting for her silently because at least she followed her heart and never waivered as opposed to allowing others to "paint her picture" the way they felt it should look. And kudos to her mom as well for seeing who her daughter is and accepting her just like that.

Oh well, I'm glad I got a chance to chat...I must go return some equipment now. I was on my way until the Sunshine crashed and I didn't want to disturb her. Hope all is well with you guys!

2 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Good for you gettin your baby line rolling! Marketing is so hard. For me, anyway.

Being a wife and mother: before I had Tessa, I had no clue how much SMART it takes to be a wife and mother! To engineer a family. And it's not a smart you can study for. It calls on your core essence, your courage, your common sense (which isn't all that common, actually!), your instinct. If women decided collectively that motherhood was beneath them or an antiquated, unworthy pursuit - well we'd be pretty screwed as a people, right?

Is thre as much joy and meaning in any other profession?

3:46 PM  
Blogger SunshineMama said...

Teri: No, I don't think there is... Everything else up to this point really does seem kind of insignificant. It's just so amazing. Especially as you experience all of their little "firsts".

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home